Tuesday, November 13, 2007

In a short statement of 300-700 words,

please tell the application board your possible plans for future research, your future plans for possible research, your alternate plans for research, potential plans for alternate research, additional back-up plans for potential alternate research, your personal academic history and development, your disadvantaged academic background, your disadvantaged academic foreground, your methodology, etiology, and theology, significance of your proposed research project and anticipated impact of said project on the profession, complete literature review and comparative history of your profession, relevance of your project to issues such as diversity, multi-culturalism, or communities underserved by traditional academic research, relevance of your project to anything outside the academy, and c), relevance of your research, your education, or yourself to anything at all. Be sure to include a timeline of projected work and a complete budget.

Please note: The review committee may not consider proposals that exceed the word limit.

10 comments:

Sisyphus said...

PS I wrote 700 words today, but I won't add them to the wordmeter. Or actually, I wrote way more than 700 words, but that's all I'll get to keep.

Belle said...

You forgot that they want to know dietary restrictions, allergies and meds...

700 is good. Keep it up!

Liza Blake said...

This reminds me somewhat of Borges's Chinese Encyclopedia invoked in Foucault's Order of Things ...

Sisyphus said...

Oh, and I forgot to add for all those people saying on the applying to grad school livejournal forum "Ooh I hate writing these statement-of-purpose things and searching my soul and I will be so glad once I'm in grad school and will never have to deal with this again":

Run. Or get used to it. 'Cause from where I stand this shit just keeps comin'.

kermitthefrog said...

I'd add the words! (and possibly also up the target count if I was feeling stickler-ish)

vC said...

You'd think that after years of grant proposals, fellowship proposals, and begging for money in general as a grad student that the word-count thing wouldn't sting. Alas, it still does. I'd do what a student of mine once did and superscript a number after every word...

heu mihi said...

I also hate the ones that require you to write way too many words about something that you don't have anything to say about. E.g.:

In 1000 words, describe how you expect to contribute to our department.

Or, better yet:

In 1000 words or less, describe how you will contribute to the diversity of our institution.

Okay, yeah, you can go under the 1000, but I do think you need to exceed the 2 I can come up with ("Not much").

StyleyGeek said...

A friend of mine wrote a 300-word statement like that for a grant proposal recently, then read the instructions more carefully and realised to her horror that the limit was actually 300 CHARACTERS (including spaces and punctuation). She threatened to write it in mobile-phone-speak, because seriously, what can you say in 300 characters?

medieval woman said...

Hee, hee, hee....

Good luck with everything!

undine said...

You pasted this from the NEH website, I swear :-).