Mmm. I didn’t do anything work-related or useful all weekend. It was nice. I read a novel for pleasure (shocker!), I trundled around on the internet, read the papers, I cooked a big wonderful fancy dinner for myself (with wine --- yay) and had lots of ice cream (actually, not really good after the wine --- I think I need to stick to one or the other), and lazed around a lot. Then on Sunday I cleaned up the kitchen and went to see a silly, not-so-good movie (Tropic Thunder) with Cool Scientist Friend and The Political Animal. Since it was a matinee and we didn’t feel like going home, that then turned into a leisurely tour of several bars (in search of the perfect patio) and dinner out and then some more bars. It was nice. I feel very dehydrated this morning, but nice. So, all in all, a very successful weekend, even if I did try to force myself to do work, unsuccessfully.
However, it is now Monday. And though I’m waiting for word on various projects, I feel absolutely no impetus to work. It’s like I’ve flipped a switch and gone permanently into vacationing mood. Hmm. The only saving grace so far is that the apt. people came to see to the empty apartment next door, and I knew as soon as they brought the air compressor and carpet-cleaning machine in that I needed to get out of there. So, I’m at school at least. Not wanting to work. Perhaps a list would help? I love lists:
I am waiting for some sort of response before doing anything further on these projects:
- dissertation is with Advisor
- waiting to hear about fall adjuncting job
- waiting for email back about R&R article
- print and fill out all forms
- meeting with Advisor?
- leave signature forms with committee
- write abstract
-check final formatting
-clean out and return all library books (need to wait on the ones directly relevant to that last chapter though)
- clean everything out of cubicle for return
-return other set of keys
- ooh, and return that expired parking pass thingy too
Job Market Prep
- update diss abstract? Do I still need one if I’m done?
- update CV (resend out articles first)
- update template for letter
- ask committee to get ready for updating the letters again
- ask Prof Indomitable for extra letter?
- organize a space for all my application crap
- print it and look at comments
- make preliminary list and see if I can start fixing things
- email someone on committee to meet and look over it for suggestions?
- pick another journal and look at their articles
- waiting (see above)
-still could meet with someone on committee with it again
- I have three or four books that just came out I need to get and work into the article
Of course, my notes from an earlier to-do list state that I should be working up a book proposal to meet with Advisor about (ohmigod!), that I have a conference coming up in the medium-future, and there’s always looking out for future conference stuff too. Ugh.
So, there we go. I have plenty to do. Problem is, I just don’t want to do it. Some of these are more do-able and have earlier deadlines than others, but I looked at the abstract/acknowledgements earlier this morning and just can not get myself to work on them. I think I’ll start cleaning out the cubicle/office; that’s not the same type of brain work and it will ease me back into the idea of thinking and working… I hope.
Wish me luck! Ooh, and tell everyone I emailed or gave chapters to to get back to me already!