Monday, December 1, 2008

Recipe Posting: Empty Fridge Edition

I don't know why I am always tired and unable to do anything I'm supposed to do whenever I drive back from the parents' house. But, that is the way it is. If I'm lucky I manage to push through the laundry and put out food for the cats (who are back as well, and very pissed off they are about their most recent kenneling). Me being me, I always plan out an enormous list of Things To Do, envisioning a magical day and night of full productivity that will make everything perfect and organized for the first time in my life. And, of course, that is never the case.

For instance: groceries. I should go get them. And yet, getting back in the car tonight is one of the last things I want to do. We'll see what happens with tomorrow's breakfast (radical prediction: I will be in a coffeeshop at the butt-crack of dawn trying to get my reading and class prep done before I have to go in to work). Luckily, I have found a recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone that is quite tasty and lets me get around the whole "I have no fresh food" problem. And my mom always loads me down with some stuff from her garden (nothing says delicious like, "here, eat all of these before they get completely disgusting. Take more; I'm pushing the tomatoes!"), so I have lots of tomatoes and lemons, and this time, a bag of leftover turkey too. I kinda combine the two recipes on Madison's p 454:

Spaghetti With Tomatoes, Olives, and Capers

get

1/2 cup olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, 2 sliced and 1 chopped
1 pound Roma tomatoes (or whatever your mom pushes on you)
24 Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup capers, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chopped marjoram (ok, I don't even have this when I have been shopping, so I never include it)
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound spaghetti (I don't like spaghetti, so I use penne from the receipe below, and sometimes add some lemon zest and juice, also from the next recipe)
1/2 cup chopped parsley (I don't use this either, as I killed my parsely. Maybe I could buy the dried stuff?)

Heat the oil with the garlic slices in a wide skillet When the garlic is golden, remove and discard it. (I ain't never gonna throw away good garlic. Subtle infusion my ass! This girl is not a subtle garlic girl.) Add the chopped garlic, tomatoes, olives, capers, pepper flakes, and marjoram. Simmer briskly for 10 minutes and season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water, drain, and added to the sauce along with the parsley. Toss and serve.

Tasty!

This time I heated up some slices of the leftover turkey, broken up into bites, and stirred it on in. I might not have added enough tomatoes this time ---- you get more of a dampening than a heavy sauce. Next up I'll get out and bring in some fresh stuff. Eventually.

1 comment:

ortho said...

mmmm, this looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. I will try it this weekend.