Thursday, January 24, 2013

It has Returned!!!! Aiiiiiigh!



It's ... it's ... Floyd! And how has he changed!


He has been stamped with a scarlet R&R on his forehead, but ... remember how long ago I heard that there are varieties of R&Rs, some are "warm," and some are "cool" invitations to resubmit? This editor sounds Highly Unimpressed.

I am afraid to even look at what they have done to him ... I know there will be major changes and the editor said s/he was interested in getting additional readers if/when I resubmit the reconstructed work ... I stopped skimming at terrifying words like "derivative" and "reductionist view of ____ literary movement" and cringed in horror. Not the Psycho music! Noooooo!

I'll go read the reports eventually. Maybe this weekend I will be up to it? I think it will just take a little time and steeling myself before I can open the door and view the carnage. And I'm going to have to find someone to help me clarify my wording about my field, since I haven't even read the latest criticism in my area for who knows how long! Yuck.

Wait, did ----  did you just hear some maniacal laughter? And a chainsaw?

6 comments:

Sisyphus said...

And WTF???? First I have some great conversations with a postdoc about my/our research and this person thinks I have great ideas (to put into future articles I had just given up on trying to write), and now this happens?

Academia, man --- it's like that zombie arm that pulls you under just when you thought you had made it out of the graveyard.

Anonymous said...

"Academia, man --- it's like that zombie arm that pulls you under just when you thought you had made it out of the graveyard."

I love this characterization of academia. Just when I feel confident and think I know some tiny thing - bam! Something comes along to let me know that in fact I know nothing.

Anonymous said...

You could ask a friend to "translate" the letter for you, so you don't have to look at it again. But hey---it's an R&R, and if I remember correctly, from a pretty good journal, right? So congratulations!

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

When I worked for a scholarly journal (for three years) EVERY article we published was an R&R. There were zero acceptances, hundreds of rejections, and about 50-60 R&Rs that we eventually published. I have no idea how other journals do it. But if I got an R&R, I'd celebrate.

JaneB said...

"Academia, man --- it's like that zombie arm that pulls you under just when you thought you had made it out of the graveyard."

Oh yeah!!!

Dr. Koshary said...

I celebrate this R&R as a positive development, as Fie suggests. I also cheer the zombie arm description.

To the bar!!