Tuesday, April 14, 2009

MMAP Update April 14: It's never too late for some revising!

Something tells me that going hot and cold, hot and cold, is not a good sign when one is trying to work. At least, not physical chills and sweats; psychologically speaking that's a pretty good description of how I sometimes waffle over a stuck part of my own work. Anyway, I did my teaching stuff and a bunch of other things and then went home and slept away the afternoon.

And if this had been any other month I would have pulled out a bad movie and decided to cook something big and fancy and complex and just written off the day. But lo! MMAP, and the knowledge that I would not be able to post an update to my blog, has saved me! Instead, I decided that I should try to do some work anyway, even if it was not very much and of course every one knows that you can't get good work done at 9 pm. I have proven them wrong!

I went and re-read an article I need to cite and typed up piles of crap on it. Maybe took 30-45 minutes. (A side note for those of you playing along at home: guess what? There are good reasons for starting to work through and write about your critics chronologically. Why am I doing the first paragraph last? It's a mystery to me too.)

So I didn't finish writing up that bit, but have refamiliarized myself with the article and written down a lot of things. Tomorrow I will condense it all down to a solid gold brick of critical goodness and explain why, although it is a very wonderful and nice article, it totally left out Highly Important Things which only I have noticed and made an argument about. But that sounds tiring just thinking about it, so I'm going back to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course one can get good work done after 9pm! My bester papers were written late at night.

* said...

Hooray! Good for you.

And I always write my first paragraph last. When everything is said and done and I no longer have the stress about writing the rest of the piece, then it's kind of fun to craft something introductory. So that makes perfect sense to me!