Thursday, May 10, 2012

Doctoring time

Is there anything more horrible than making doctor appointments? Well, possibly the actual doctor visits, but I actually go to those rather than endlessly stew and procrastinate dealing with them.

I turned in grades on Sunday and have been dealing with all the piddly little errand type things I've put off during the school year. I might be caught up with them now. I have all* the doctor checkups scheduled, which I hate so much! If I have to suffer the annoyance of scheduling doctor's visits, then everyone should! Go schedule your checkups! I even took my car in and called the vet for my cats' checkups, I am so into spreading around the pain to everyone.

Of course this means that the rest of this month and actually most of next month is littered with the actual visits, which I am sure I will also find stressful, but this means I can turn my attention to complaining about my academic work instead. And figure out some extra work, since I did not manage to scare up any summer teaching, alas.

And what am I doing, academic-wise? Uh, I'm not quite sure. I definitely need a schedule, that's for sure. I actually don't work well with all this unstructured free time and "relaxing" business. Also, all the people who were all "oh, we must do all this great hiking and sightseeing and fun stuff this summer" a few weeks ago are now vanishing, so I'm kinda wondering who I'm going to talk to this summer. Seriously, super unstructured time and me sitting around at home on my couch alone doesn't sound like a good plan. And it makes me wonder why I should spend this time here, rather than being annoyed by my family while sitting around on their couch. Of course, there are the cats and the possibility of holding on to this place for next year and the lease I haven't signed yet etc etc and really I can't deal with all these questions and plans. This is why I sit around on the couch, avoiding things. Hey, at least I did finally get to those doctor appointments!

I am also crampy and irritable and suffering from lots of food I shouldn't have eaten yesterday (in response to the cramps) so I have decided that I don't have to deal with any of those questions right now. Instead, I will look around my place and see what might be fun to read. I made it about halfway through Eric Schlosser's Reefer Madness, --- I know! how long have I had that lying around here! --- but was getting all riled up and angry, so I need to find something else to read that doesn't make me so infuriated at the injustices of the world. Good luck with that, eh? I do have a pile of composition theory and teaching writing textbooks that I grabbed a while back, but I'm saving those for right before I go to bed in the evenings. They are working quite well at putting me to sleep, unlike stories of the war on drugs and exploitation of immigrants.




* Ok, the eye dr. recommendation I got fell through, so I emailed a couple other people for recommendations. I don't technically have that lined up yet, but give me credit for the rest, yes?

1 comment:

Shedding Khawatir said...

Ugh, I need to do this too. Thanks for the reminder :-(