The other day I emailed the leasing office at the new apartment to remind them of something, and they asked if I had filled out the move-in checklist yet. The what? I don't think they had sent it to me yet. Good thing I asked, because the list of things they want me to bring is long and insane. I have never had so many requirements for renting anyplace before. In fact, I think I usually just show up and hand them money. Here's the list, for those of you playing along at home:
- your City of Hot Place resident e-number (I don't even know what this is)
- city gas account number
- eye of newt
- renter's insurance for new address
(minimum 100,000 liability policy required before receiving keys)
- a virgin sacrifice
- copy of vehicle registration and photo of car
- a shrubbery (not too small, not too large, must fit in tiered space with other shrubberies to get a two-level effect with a little path running down the middle)
- photos of pets, labeled (they didn't ask, but I added their vet phone and microchip number)
- remaining move-in funds in cashier's check or money order only. No personal checks at move-in.
Is this requiring renter's insurance a thing now? My current place sent out a memo to everyone that in order to be able to renew our leases we would have to provide proof of renter's insurance or pay in to
something they had chosen for us. I found that annoying, and was looking for a cheaper place this summer anyway (before getting the job offer), and I saw that mentioned in several other ads. Harrumph. Yes, I know you really should get renter's insurance; I've just always found that to be a hassle of time and money I didn't really have as a grad student and so relied on luck rather than insurance. Also ---- 100,000 in liability? I think I own maybe ... $5,000 worth of stuff. Maybe 4. It's just weird to have it forced on me as something mandatory.
I don't even know how to go about getting a cashier's check, especially when I have about 3 dollars of money in my bank account. This should be interesting. Guess what I'm going to be dealing with all day on Monday!!!