Thursday, May 21, 2015

End of the year

So. I'm done with finals, working on the final grading and grade tallying, starting to clean out my office and pack it all up ---- I don't have much left on that, actually ---- and soon I will be all done with this place. Huh. So what do I do?

I have 2 or 3 more places out on the vine still ... as in, I did interviews with them and now get to wait to see if they send me to the second level of interview/visit stuff. So I don't want to give up hope yet, but moving to that second cutoff point has not been my strong suit this year. Sigh.

I have to give notice on this place at the end of the month, and my lease is up in July. Where am I going? What am I doing? If I am moving my stuff into storage and moving back in with family to re-tool for a new career, what happens to my cats? It is all a big question mark.

Part of me is just saying, "fuckit," and not dealing with it. If my students can toke up every day and crash and burn on their classes and get fired from half a dozen different fast food establishments and not care about or worry about anything, why should I? It'll all happen somehow. If I can't land this I can, I dunno, barista or something while crashing at my sister's place. That doesn't help with the cats, but I'm sure something will work itself out.

All of this is to say that I should be Planning Out My Life right now, but instead I bought a computer game and am reading some trashy fiction and going camping next week. I have been in academia too long to not follow the summer break routine!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your students make me think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RrreVthWRY

Contingent Cassandra said...

A bit of a break sounds like a good idea right about now (at least to this fellow-academic who's about to be dumped, all too soon, back into the teaching routine via summer school -- an option I know I'm lucky to have). You've got at least one deadline/time frame to inform your decision-making, some irons still in the fire, and some ideas of the possibilities if those don't work out. Maybe you can say you're letting your subconscious work on it all while your conscious mind occupies itself with computer games and trashy fiction and camping?

Susan said...

Yes for a bit of a break. Camping sounds great! And I'll hope you hear on some of the outstanding places :)

Notorious Ph.D. said...

A bit of a break sounds good. And I don't know if you'll continue blogging if "on the vine" doesn't pan out, but I for one would be interested in reading your thoughts about Life After -- and I'll bet a lot of other people would, too.

Sisyphus said...

Anonymous, I had already seen and completely understood that video!