Monday, May 26, 2008

Yummy

Looky what I got.


I was just shopping for something for my niece's birthday, I swear (I got this), and before I knew it I had a bunch of theory in my shopping cart. How did that happen? Damn those Amazon recommendations!

(It always gets worse when I'm looking up ISBNs or pub info or prices for teaching stuff on that site, as they evilly remember everything I have looked at. One curious click onto a, "Ooh, I didn't know so-and-so had just put out a new book" and you're fucked ---- they have your number and begin seducing you with all the recent critical developments that you stopped keeping tabs on when you switched to another dissertation chapter. It's tragic, really.)

Maybe I'll spend some of my free time this summer immersing myself in Marxist theory. Yeah, and maybe monkeys will fly out of my ass. But, on the other hand, you never know. Wanna join me? I could always get back in and finally finish reading Capital. Or, maybe I could just put it next to these new unread books and have them all look pretty together.

Any other suggestions for what I should read this summer, as long as I'm being insane?

2 comments:

k8 said...

Amazon sucks so much money out of me it's ridiculous. My recommendations are always hilarious because of my weird interdisciplinary ways combined with my frequent purchase of children's literature (I work with it, too, but it makes up a lot of my pleasure reading as well). Nothing quite like seeing Lefebvre and Dr. Seuss next to each other in the recommendations list.

So, for summer reading, are you thinking academic books, a specific genre, or anything?

My reading "plan" is to work my way through some of the 150+ books I own but have not read. This is what I get for tagging them on LibraryThing - I now feel guilty about the books bearing the "unread" tag.

Amanda K Allen said...

I think you should read Bourdieu. Endless Bourdieu... (Oh, wait. He's MY theorist crush...)

On the other hand, I am also looking forward to "65 Years of Little Golden Books," so perhaps I am not the best person to comment here.