Sunday, January 29, 2012

Priorities, People!

And by "people" I am of course yelling at myself.

I have not been able to get on top of stuff yet this semester. There might be something to *not* having so many classes and immediate deadlines that is preventing me allowing me to make excuses and sit around on my ass not working. I'm not super behind --- if you just count my stuff. But if you look at what I *really* need to be working on --- figuring out the job search and/or finishing up with Floyd the article --- you would see that I am sadly out of whack in my priorities, finishing up the low-level (or even useless!) tasks at the expense of the important stuff.

Sigh. And having only small amounts of homework so far is also messing up my usual motivation. I have two homework batches to grade today, and then one more class to prep for tomorrow, and what I *should* do is knock those out right away so that I can work on job apps or my article. But instead, grading these response papers, one by one, has been like sloooooowly pulling off a band-aid, each one followed by plenty of internet procrastination. Grrr.

I need to do something to re-set my work habits or hire someone to be my whip-holder or something. I also need to start those oh-so-annoying community college job apps. Or plan a plan for nonacademic jobs. I still haven't made any sort of decision about that.

Hmph. How am I going to stave off a nap while grading homework papers?

3 comments:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

I don't know how to stave off the nap, but if you figure it out, let me know, m'kay? Right now, there's not enough coffee in the world...

undine said...

A walk! At least that's what I do when I get overwhelmed by grading sleepiness.

Barring that--a nap!

Jodi A. Campbell said...

I think we have the same life right now. I'm in the process of completing too many community college job apps, while trying not to bang my head against the wall grading essay outline. Reading a thesis that says Jews were integrated into medieval English society because of the expulsion makes my head explode. So, I turn to the interwebs and get reminded that I am not alone.