Thursday, October 3, 2013

Deja vu all over again

Arrrgh this late start class! Oy. I've been pretty good about not complaining about it too much to people at school so clearly I must vent somewhere.

I can't even keep track of what day it is. And since the other comp classes have already finished their first essay and we are on a totally new discussion topic, I am totally discombobulated when I go to another classroom on a different set of days and start re-teaching something I had put back on the mental shelf a few weeks ago. The other two classes are on a different schedule, so I try to re-use my powerpoints and don't always remember to update the days of the week and the dates things are due. Plus, today I kept telling the students "tomorrow" instead of the day we meet next week and these are the types of students who get really confused and out of it if I mis-speak or correct myself in any way.

This is all leading up to the fact that not only am I very confused, but they are really lost about things like what day it is and how to read the schedule. So I had a student come up wigging out at break today about the thesis and out line of the essay being due next week and not matching something I had just said. Stupidly enough, I believed this student instead of saying, "hey wait, calm down; let's get out my syllabus and read it over together." Nope, I proceeded to wing it and completely change what I was going to have us do for homework on the fly, and that student was wrong about the date. Now I am going to have people be utterly confused: do they follow the syllabus or do they bring in a thesis a week early? What are we actually doing when we next meet in class? FML people! Whatever I plan, half of them, I'm sure, will not be correctly prepared for it. Argh indeed.

Ok, I have also fallen massively behind and so need to grade about 5 more essays to keep roughly on track plus plan for tomorrow's class. And I just realized that I have only a short breather before all my essays are due again and I haven't even really planned what is happening next! I may have to cancel hiking plans and be a grading hermit all weekend. Bleacch!

1 comment:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Wow. This is a fresh hell the likes of which I've never seen. I think I'd have to have the syllabus tattooed on my arm to get through it. Good luck!