Wednesday, October 24, 2012

It is sweater weather and I have nothing to wear.

Ever since I found multiple moth holes in my fairisle sweater (sigh --- I liked it, even if it was just a Gap sweater) and thrifted it, I have been sad about my sweater collection. I have quite a few --- although several have at least one or two holes, and a couple have been shrunk in washing and they are not comfy any more, and some shed constantly or are just uncomfortable to wear --- but they are all very plain basics. They are either purple or red, since the last of the blue ones was the fairisle, and they have no patterns. That means that once winter comes I wear black pants and a purple sweater, or some such combination that is very boring, every day. Since I have worked hard on adding dresses with crazy prints to my wardrobe, the impending boringness of the sweater season weighs heavily on me.

And yet all of the sweaters out these days are beyond interesting and into the weird category. As in, I do not want weird dolman sleeves, working buttons all the way down the sleeves, or a mullet hem. (seriously people???) And I definitely do not want all of the above on a single garment! I just want some sort of cute detail up near the collar or a simple pattern.

And so I went on my quest!

Actually, I clicked around a lot on the internet. But still. There were actually some interesting sweaters at Piperlime, but once you select for sweaters under $200, most of them go away. And I don't really want to pay even $100 for a sweater.

Modcloth, however, had some interesting possibilities. Not necessarily possibilities I ordinarily would have chosen, but possibilities nevertheless. What do you think? I need opinions:












I know that horizontal stripes are not friendly to someone who is short and apple-shaped. Alas. While I love the sheer weirdness of cinnamon and hot pink, the arms on that sweater are especially schumpfy and make my upper arms look huge, which is not usually something I particularly notice. And I'm not really loving the crew-neck on any of them, since that can tend to make one's chest into just a big amorphous blob.

So --- keep any, return any, keep looking? Any suggestions or leads for pretty sweaters that aren't a zillion dollars and cashmere? Maybe I could just tie my cats to my body before going to class?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one in the middle looks like a grandma sweater. Top looks good. No comment on the bottom.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I like the one on the top a lot. The other two... no.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

I'm with the others. The top one is the only one I like. That's always a bummer -- buying something online only to return it. This is why I never buy clothes online anymore.

Susan said...

What everyone else said...the only one I'd think about keeping is the top...

Anonymous said...

The top one for sure. The middle one maybe, but it would have to be with a cute skirt to work. No for the bottom.

TMedina said...

Definitely, the top. The other two, not so much.